Background of the Sun-Kissed Vale, the Land of Fungi Folk
The Sun-Kissed Vale is the realm of Fungi Folk, a species of evolved, magically adaptive mushrooms who have absorbed intelligence, literacy and tool use from the neighboring human, hobgoblin, wood elf and goblin cultures. The Vale is a forested area, rich in magical energies and natural resources, and thus attracts all sorts of adventurers and explorers. The Fungi Folk resent these intrusions but, at the same time, are curious about the ways of the intruders. In addition, many humanoids consider fair game to eat the mushroom men. Some expeditions, especially humans and halflings, are led by food connoisseurs and chefs who came to pick rare mushrooms and truffles for high-paying customers. Many a Fungi Folk has ended up as main course on a king’s table. Inevitably, conflict arises, and skirmishes are fought.
The Fightin' Fungi game recounts the stories of these battles. On one side, the stalwart, alien defenders of a forest and its secrets; on the other, raiders looking for fame, fortune, and delicious morsels.
Each player controls a warband of 5-12 figures. Warbands belong to two main factions: Fungi and Humanoids.
Fungi are divided into four sub-factions.
- The Autumn Folk, bound by their duty to protect the land;
- The Rotten Hearts, swayed by the powers of hallucination magic and necromancy;
- The Path of the Underwood, a mystic school of martial artists professing meditation and good deeds;
- The warlike and adventurous Oaken Spears, who manufacture armor and weapons out of tree bark, branches, and other natural sources.
Humanoids are typically arranged on an ethnic basis, but mixed parties are possible.
- Humans are the most varied in outlook. Most are motivated by profit; others are scouts leading scientific expeditions.
- Goblins are reavers and brigands looking for treasure and salable items.
- Hobgoblins are well-organized, militaristic invaders trying to blaze strategic trails through the forest.
- Orcs are vandals who destroy the forest for the sake of it, and capture wild boars and dire wolves for their cavalry.
- Halflings are food collectors come to collect delicacies.
- Wood Elves come to study the ways of the wood and collect fungi specimens.